The Centre of Studies and Research is the official body and focal point within the Ministry of Health which is responsible for implementing the Ministry of Health’s policy for promoting research culture in the health sector in Oman. It has been providing evidence-based information to decision makers and other researchers/academicians.
Roles of the Centre of Studies and Research:
- Developing the Five-Year Health Research Plans, all of which have been formally integrated within the Five-Year Health Development Plans of Ministry of Health
- Carrying out research to provide information for health planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Setting the research policy which aims mainly to spread research culture, promote scientific approaches directed to meet the planning needs as well as commitment to standard scientific research protocol and ethical considerations to ensure high quality of research output.
- Setting the research priorities since the 6th “Five-year Health Development Plan, 1996-2000” and onward.
- Providing training and technical support for different activities related to research
- Cooperating and coordinating with other Directorates and programs within Ministry of Health, local research bodies such as Sultan Qaboos University (SQU) particularly College of Medicine and Health Sciences, Oman Medical Specialty Board (OMSB), The Research Council (TRC), other ministries and international or regional agencies and organizations such as World Health Organization/EMRO, UNICEF, UNFPA and GCC for training and research
- Supervising and coordinating regional operational research plans. ‘Decentralisation for research activities’ for each region has been adopted since the 7th Five-Year Plan
- Disseminating research results for program managers, health care providers, researchers, planners and decision makers through official documented reports, workshops and publications, and to the community through mass media
- Revising and updating rules and functions of the “Research and Ethical Review & Approve Committee (RERAC)” as well as guidelines and forms for proposal writing
- Reviewing proposals submitted to the “Research and Ethical Review & Approve Committee (RERAC)” to ensure the highest scientific and ethical standards in research
- Providing financial support through research grants for research projects that are directed towards the health research priorities identified by the Ministry of Health
- Encouraging scientific research and motivating researchers at the Ministry of Health through the adoption of research awards to support research excellence